Friday, July 27, 2007

SAWX RAWK!


Living in New York, I know that many of ET's friends and acquaintances are Yankees fans. And most are probably aware that ET is a die-hard Red Sox fan.

Last year the Sox' highly-regarded top pitching prospect had his major league debut on June 10. In 15 starts, Lester went 7-2 with a 4.76 ERA - an awesome rookie year by any measure. However, Lester's rookie season was cut short on August 23 when he was diagnosed with cancer. After 3 months of chemotherapy, he was declared cancer-free in December. Since then, he's been on a program of rehabilitation in the minor leagues.

Last week we witnessed his return to the Boston starting rotation in a game against the Cleveland Indians. Over six innings and 96 pitches, Lester gave up only five hits and allowed two runs, while striking out six. The Sox won. In a post-game interview, Lester remarked how he'd received a hand-written letter from Lance Armstrong during his chemotherapy treatment, and how much it meant to him.

So how could I resist when I found a Jon Lester autographed "cancer survivor" baseball? I just had to get it and have it mailed to ET. But I'd love to take it a step further. My goal is to have Jon Lester leave a voice message for ET. I've written a letter to him and his parents asking them to consider taking a minute to leave ET the message.

So my question to all of ET's friends and acquaintances is "do any of you have any connection to MLB or the Boston Red Sox?" If so, that would likely have a better chance of reaching Jon Lester's ear than the letter I wrote.

Please let me know!

thanks --jimmy

1 comments:

21 Charles Street said...

Hey Jim - doesn't Tim (Barbara's friend) have a connection that got her tickets last summer. I'll ask Jeff.
Pat