Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bad Luck or Devine Providence?



Anyone who knows me, knows I do not believe in luck, good or bad. I believe what the Apostle Paul wrote in the book of Romans, chapter 8, verse 28.

This morning I went to the airport with Michael Smith for my 0600 flight home. I booked a one-way flight home on the Internet for a decent price. I showed up with time to spare and hand my paperwork to the agent. She says, "sir, that flight left yesterday morning".............WHAT!...... How can that be?..."sir, the dates are for 24 July, today is the 25th" Dumbfounded, I was asked to step out of line and call my ticket agent. This I quickly did. After several frustrating phone calls with Expedia and United, bottom line is: Earliest flight is tomorrow, an extra $400+, and a $100 penalty. After much sighing, I hang up the phone wanting to throw it against the wall... my anger and hopelessness peaked. All the time I know my attitude is wrong (Rom 8:28). I decide there is good reason for this, even if it was my own fault. I put the whole matter into God's more than capable hands.

I walk up to the counter after another 1/2 hour wait and explain. She tries to pull it up and they have already cancelled my reservation. She says, "let me see what I can find. How about a 4:58 flight today, arrive Seattle 11pm....First Class?" How much is that going to cost me? "Nothing, I will just put you on"....alright then, as I look up. I was able to go back and have a nice lunch with Mom and be there for Elizabeth's Big Trip...what a gift.

I am now at O'Hare in Chicago. My flight is delayed, so I started walking around looking for Internet and food. After a long walk, I find a USO; Internet, sandwiches, snacks, coffee, sleeping room, big screen theater and staff more than eager to serve. The picture is one I just snapped. Another Gift.

ET falls into the Romans 8:28 category... All things for those who love Him!!! She is in good hands

Brother Mikey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I agree so much with your thoughts here. And I'm so glad that you got to be there today with ET - a true blessing.

Take care,

-Diane

Anonymous said...

If his wife would have been there with him, he and his family would have been at the airport on the RIGHT day and right time. And they would have flown home in crowded coach exhausted. That's what would happened to somebody who was punctual. And somehow, someone who shows up at the airport quite unaware of the dates on his ticket and what day it is gets FIRST CLASS flights home without any extra charge!! What is that? Would you call that fair? It simply isn't logical. I'm the oldest child and have never mistaken dates on the tickets or anything. And what do I get for being punctual?

Then I was reminded of the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15. The way the yonger son is treated is not "logical" or "fair". His request for his share of inheritance while his father was still in pink health was unheard of and was very disrespectful, to say the least. But it was granted. When he comes home bankrupt and homeless, he is enthusiastically welcomed back by his father. Simply not logical. Simply not fair. I'm on the older brother's side. Really, what does he get for fulfilling his responsibility?

I'm reminded that the story is not so much about the sons but about who the father God is. He is generous beyond reason. He is merciful to the point it doesn't make sense. He loves to help even those who fail to fulfill their responsibilities, or don't now what day it is. He helps the helpless who cries out to Him. What kind of person does it make me that I get upset with such God?

I AM grateful that my husband did come home, without any extra fee but in the first-class!

Nadia