Saturday, July 21, 2007

A flair for the dramatic


With her signature flowing red hair, ET never had to rely too much on drama. She could stun you just by walking in the room. So when she shaved it all off in the middle of her chemo program, it was a huge emotional loss (which she accepted gracefully, of course). In lieu of going to the hairdresser, she began going to the salon for pedicures - a luxury she'd never have dreamed of. Gawd she has beautiful feet! I snapped this picture after she'd returned to her room from radiation treatment yesterday - the technician couldn't get over how pretty her feet were. They look like porcelain.

Today was a pretty quiet, routine day - a little too routine for Elizabeth's taste, it seems. For the first time since I've been here, I took a solo shift with ET at the hospital. Jody and her daughters Jennifer and Elizabeth relieved me at the hospital so I could run home for dinner. That was when the drama started - ET had a seizure. She's fine now, and resting comfortably. Its a natural progression with this type of cancer, and they've begun to administer meds to prevent it from happening again. I'm glad Jody was here - she's a seasoned vet and I'm just a rookie.

ET and I had been talking earlier about potentially going for a "walk" tomorrow to the third-floor outdoor observation deck. Let's hope she's feeling up for it.

--jimmy

0 Comments